Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The versatile bird gets the worm

In my time here at the Harrison Hilltop I have done many jobs and I have done them at the same time. In smaller theatre companies this is how it is done. For example The producers here often design lights and sets and sometimes even direct. For the first show I was stage manager, properties, and I ran the sound and light board. For the second show I was the stage manager, designed costumes, and ran the sound and light board. And now for the last show I am the stage manager, scenic designer, and I am running the sound and light board.
I have greatly enjoyed working in a small theatre group because it has given me many opportunities to do and learn different things. I have gotten the chance to do the things I have wanted to do. Also working in a small theatre has given me the chance to work very closely with the owners/producers.
I believe that being skilled in many different fields is the key to success. Give this a thought, if a theatre is looking to higher a stage manager and they have two applicants one who has only stage managed and one who has stage managed and designed sets and costumes, who do you think is the more appealing of the two?

No comments:

Post a Comment