Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The director done gone to Paris!!!

As stage manager it is my job to steer the ship and take carge in the directors absence. This past week the director and his wife(who happens to be one of the actors in the current show) went to Paris. In the directors absence I took over his duties as well as doing my own. I arrived around 15 minutes before call each night and opened up the building and turned on all the lights next I made sure the place was in order. I ran the rehearsals like usual starting at promptly at 7 and running the entire show,I gave lines and read the lines of the missing actor. I only stopped the actors if blocking needed fixed or to work the kinks out of some scenes. I emailed back and forth all week with the director to talk about what I thought needed fixed/changed and I ok'd everything with him before I actually made the changes. Also I was to add in as many of technical aspects as I could before the director arrived back this being props, coustumes, light and sound.

Taking my directing class at Monmouth definately helped me prepare for this moment in my internship. Directing in and of itself is a great experience and it greatly helped me as a stagemanager to understand the inner workings of a directors mind. It taught what to look for and how to block certain things. When I directed my show was blocked for in the round and now this show is in a thrust style theatre arrangement so I knew what to expect for sight lines. Also talking with the director about his artistic view of the piece helped to me help him create that.

No comments:

Post a Comment