As the stage manager it is my job to make sure that the actors follow the rules and regulations set out for them in their contracts. For example the actors are to be in the theater at call time, they are not to leave the building after the call time and they are to be sober. Recently I had an actor break all three of these stipulations. The first occasion the actor left after call and I saw him across the street coming out of a bar. I confronted him and he said he was just getting food so I had no proof that he had been drinking but I did give him a warning for leaving the premises. I notified the director and the producer. Next the actor was late for call and then proceeded to leave the premises to get food again and I again gave him a warning and reported it. The third and final incident was when castmates of the actor reported that he smelled of alcohol and was lude in his behavior. The actors did not tell me or the director this till after the show so the next day after the show the actor was called outside and both producers and myself had a talk with him and explain that he had received three warnings and he and broken his contract three times and that he was fired. Then I escorted him back inside to retrieve his things then I escorted him back outside and that was that.
Stage managers must also have a lot patience. One thing I learned from doing theatre all my life is that every show has its diva. Sometimes they are the leads and sometimes they are in supporting roles. This time the actress plays a supporting part. I to had to give her a warning for being tardy and she did not take it well at all, she does not really talk any direction well, she thinks she is always right. So instead of fighting with her i just went to the director with the issue and he let her know that I was doing my job and she was to respect me. After that she has been on better behavior but I still would not call her plesant.
As stage manager at the Harrison Hilltop I am working under and with the producers. I am working with them on every prodject. I think it would be safe to say that I am also a sudoapprentice to the producers. I will be helping them throw the "revolution block party" with will be to promote theatre and other arts in the area. Other theatres will be in attendance to perform, we will have boths for visual artists as well as boths with restaurants from the surronding areas. This is a project to help rejuvinate the area around the harrison hilltop.
Monday, June 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment